Wednesday, May 27, 2009

How To Catch Gnats 2009 version

One thing I love about blogging is the randomness of it all. I love tracking what city, state and countries visit my blog and why. One of the most popular reasons that strangers come across my blog? Searching google for "how to catch gnats."
Yes, one of my posts back in 2007 is still bringing in the most visitors. Crazy! In honor of Gnat season, I am posting a portion of my initial 2007 post on how to catch gnats! We have begun to have gnats again...although not at the alarmingly magical rate we did during the dreaded summer of 2007. Hopefully the following tactics/results will help more strangers out there!



We have tried:

white vinegar, which caught ZERO gnats.
apple cider vinegar, which did catch gnats
apple cider vinegar mixed with dishwashing detergent, caught a few
apple cider vinegar mixed with baking soda, which caught the most gnats
apple cider vinegar mixed with bleach, which caught zero gnats
We put plain apple cider in a cup and covered it with plastic wrap and poked it with a toothpick to create holes. (The gnats go in like idiots and can't get out. Managed to catch a few.)

We poured bleach down our sink drains to kill them.

Shawna burned one gnat with a match. Although it only resulted in one gnat's death, it went a long way towards raising team spirit. ("team" being Shawna and I. It's us against those damn gnats.)

And we used sticky bug traps which resulted in a mass killing. (I would imagine that the "Gnat Nightly News" is covering this mass murder that happened. I'm sure Shawna and I are deemed terrorists on their news coverage. Which I think is highly prejudicial. We attacked because they attacked us first. I didn't go invade their home. They invaded mine! And we will fight back, biotch!!! We're taking back OUR house! Can I get an amen????)

Also, we used the bug zapper we have for flies. It's not easy because the gnats are much smaller than flies so they easily slip through the net, but if you are persistent, you will succeed eventually. The resulting POP sound when they die is quite gratifying. Don't judge me for thinking that. You'd feel the same way if gnats had worn you down. It's my primal right to defend my crib!

Still, after all of the methods...there are gnats in the house. We are going to smoke them out. It might result in another house fire, but sometimes that's the only way to truly cleanse the place.

One method I would like to add is putting on rubber gloves, coating them with vaseline and running around the gnats, catching them on the glove. It expends some of your angst and it catched gnats. Too lazy? Have the kids do it! It's babysitting and gnat catching in one! You're welcome.

Hopefully you've enjoyed this recycled edition of my blog!


12 comments:

Tami said...

You are very creative! I'll be sure to refer to this post the next time those little buggers come to my house.

Bryan said...

Boo. I need new and fresh content!

Princess Lisa said...

Thanks Tami! Some of them actually worked!

Bryan- I know, I know. I've just been SO busy...or apathetic...or something.

Shawna said...

bahahahaaha! this made me laugh so hard! Thinking back now it's pretty funny but at the time it was horrid. I forgot about the match incident.....I feel a little guilty over that one. Ahhhh well. What's done is done, let go and let god....

Unknown said...

after being insane with anger at the gnats in my kitchen at least this made me laugh...I am on my way to apple cider vinegar....

Barbie Smith said...

LOVE THIS POST! LOVE IT! Any helpful suggestions of sugar aunts?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I found your blog (luv it Ü) in my quest for total gnat destruction! I suggest reading all the postings on this link:

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-get-rid-of-gnats.htm

I'm putting sand on my ONE lonely jasmine plant today and currently have a lovely aroma of balsamic vinegar in my dining room in hopes of snuffin' 'em out Ü
Hope some of the suggestions help you! See? If I hadn't had a gnat problem, I would have never found your blog Ü

oodles of noodles said...

we have a really annoying gnat problem as well. i just tried the vinegar trick and it works! i poured some rice wine vinegar in a small bowl, wrapped the top with plastic wrap and poked holes through the plastic. within minutes, those pesky little bugs congregated around the bowl sniffing out the vinegar. thank you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

nice article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.